Life in Motion

Arbitrary Anthology

Sunday, January 3, 2010

I promise, they won't all be food!!!

But this one is.  I can't help it, I really like trying new recipes!  And I'm really trying to improve my sauce and soup making skills, which are sadly lacking.  Reducing a chunk of meat as the centerpiece is tough, as well.

This is a recipe I found while searching for a good potato soup.  This one might do, with some modifications. Here is the first version (I'll update this post with the changes I make in round two).

Beer Cheese Soup
1 large carrot, peeled, sliced in to match sticks
1 rib celery, finely diced
1 large onion, peeled and diced
2 c diced potato
1 c beer (I used Blue Ale)
3 T butter
3 T flour
2 1/2 c milk
1 1/2  c chicken stock
1 1/2 c grated sharp chedder
Worcestershire sauce, salt + pepper to taste
1 c chopped ham or bacon (optional)

Combine veggies and potato in a saucepan with beer and chicken stock.  Simmer 20 minutes, until veggies are tender crisp.  Let cool, run through food processor (YAY for the immersion blender!  I got one as a Christmas gift, and this was the first use--it's awesome).  Make a roux with the butter and flour.  Add milk gradually, and cook to thicken.  Add meat,  stir in vegetable puree, simmer 5-10 minutes. Add Worcestershire, salt and pepper.  Remove from heat, add cheese, stir to melt.

Top with a sprinkle of grated cheese.



Next time around, I won't blend up all the veggies, I'd like to have soup with some big chunks.  :)

No comments: