Life in Motion

Arbitrary Anthology

Sunday, May 30, 2010

New Hike, conquering a fear

I love hiking.  I love going new places, getting away from roads and seeing the world from places I got to on my own.  California has a LOT of hiking opportunities, many just a short drive away.


Today, my sister who is in town visiting, and I headed up Highway 1 with the goal of a hike I did last year in the Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park...but due to me not remembering how far up said park was, and a lot of road construction on the highway...we didn't make it that far.


We did make it to just north of Gorda, and hiked there.  Wasn't a long hike, only about 1.5 miles round trip, but there was a pretty significant elevation gain...and mostly traversing up switchbacks.


I hate traversing.


Not in a 'oh, this is tiring' way, but in a 'inner child is SHRIEKING about falling backwards and sideways' kind of way. I have to pause after each turn, and balance myself so I don't feel like I'm going to fall.  If it's bare rock on both sides, my heart pounds and I don't always make it through.


Stupid.  I have no problems with heights, I can cross plank bridges over streams with no problems.  But going up a hill at a slant makes me fight the panic.


I won the fight today.  There weren't any truly bad places, a few with little vegetation on the sides, but enough that my heart raced...and I pushed through.


So, yay, me!


And some pics!


Elephant Seal rookery, north of San Simeon

Lots of elephant seals.


View from the top.

Ladybug on Lupine

No comments: